Phyllis Fulkerson recently donated two childs toy irons, circa 1940s. One is an electric Sunny Suzy that actually works. Typical of the era, toys like this introduced children to skills. Boys handled things that suggested jobs like engineers, craftsmen or carpenters. Girls playthings were usually domestic, introducing them to the fine arts of homemaking, sewing, cooking and so forth. My, how things have changed! There was the Barbie Doll era, and now electronic games of all kinds. See our collection of items from each of these cultural eras.
Gil has been working overtime to convert one of the old Rolfson Motel units into a large Santas Workshop walk-in toybox and year-around Christmas display of many toys from storage, and some de-cluttering in the main museum. To complete this project, we need someone to sew an elf costume for one of our mannequins. If you would like a sewing project that will be enjoyed by our visitors, let us know.
Nellie Hickman Two quilt tops, stitched by her grandmother;
Howard Hudson Corn sheller, 1956 Scout book, cream separator, oil can;
David Erickson Model S-4 McCormick Deering cream separator;
Roy Winslow 1948 Wright chainsaw, blacksmith tools;
Thomas P. Poole 1943 Eastman Kodak camera, book;
Doug Freeman GI Joe Jeep and searchlight trailer;
Lester Johnson Tractor and truck manuals.
With David Bosleys and Paul Bonellis help, we upgraded our museum signs north of Arlee and Ronan. We could still use a few more sign sites for a 4'x8' or 4'x16' sign.
Anton and Priscilla Hendriks from British Columbia spent a few days here with their camper. She helped at the desk and Anton did several woodworking projects that had been needing attention for many years.
Dr. Gordon Fisher had previously donated four large framed prints of early day optometry. Upon learning that we were adding an optometric shop to our Pioneer Village, Dr. Fisher willingly supplied us with his original wooden handpainted sign. He started practice in 1947 in a portion of the old Security State Bank building. Later he shared a building with Slim Coppedge Insurance. Our little building was originally a storage building in a trailer court and the Bones family donated it. Tammy Baer and her son Cody painted the interior. The eye cup collection previously donated by Jean Swanson is displayed as well.
Misfortune Strikes; Many Friends Lend Helping Hands
This newsletter is being written under duress by the Mangels, since Joannes recent illness and unfortunate accident. Joanne is now at home (in the museum office / small apartment) recuperating.
Both Gil and Joanne are extremely grateful for all the prayers, flowers, cards, calls, visits, meals and help given to them at the museum. So many folks have expressed their care that it has resulted in a new roster of desk volunteers as well as the regular stand-bys.
We will take the risk of not forgetting someone by attempting to list them: Tami Baer, Jane Bronson, Dawn Brown, Miranda Byrd, Tara Carvey, Sharon Christianson, Kristi Dalke, Phyllis Fulkerson, Brenda Jones, Teresa Mangels, Helen Maughan, Jane Mole, Donna and Gordon Terry, Erma Wall and Jeanne Windham. Museum friend Carmine Mowbray is helping us compile and edit this issue of the newsletter. Roberta Davis is an RSVP volunteer.