Phyllis Fulkerson recently donated two child’s toy irons,
circa 1940s. One is an electric “Sunny Suzy” that actually works.
Typical of the era, toys like this introduced children to skills. Boys
handled things that suggested jobs like engineers, craftsmen or
carpenters. Girls’ playthings were usually domestic, introducing them to
the fine arts of homemaking, sewing, cooking and so forth. My, how
things have changed! There was the Barbie Doll era, and now electronic
games of all kinds. See our collection of items from each of these
Gil has been working overtime to convert one of the old
“Rolfson Motel” units into a large “Santa’s Workshop” walk-in toybox and
year-around Christmas display of many toys from storage, and some
de-cluttering in the main museum. To complete this project, we need
someone to sew an elf costume for one of our mannequins. If you would
like a sewing project that will be enjoyed by our visitors, let us know.
• Nellie Hickman — Two quilt tops, stitched by her grandmother;
• Howard Hudson — Corn sheller, 1956 Scout book, cream separator, oil can;
• David Erickson — Model S-4 McCormick Deering cream separator;
• Roy Winslow — 1948 Wright chainsaw, blacksmith tools;
• Thomas P. Poole — 1943 Eastman Kodak camera, book;
• Doug Freeman — GI Joe Jeep and searchlight trailer;
• Lester Johnson — Tractor and truck manuals.
With David Bosley’s and Paul Bonelli’s help, we upgraded our
museum signs north of Arlee and Ronan. We could still use a few more
sign sites for a 4'x8' or 4'x16' sign.
Anton and Priscilla Hendriks from British Columbia spent a
few days here with their camper. She helped at the desk and Anton did
several woodworking projects that had been needing attention for many
Dr. Gordon Fisher had previously donated four large framed
prints of early day optometry. Upon learning that we were adding an
optometric shop to our Pioneer Village, Dr. Fisher willingly supplied us
with his original wooden handpainted sign. He started practice in 1947
in a portion of the old Security State Bank building. Later he shared a
building with Slim Coppedge Insurance. Our little building was
originally a storage building in a trailer court and the Bones family
donated it. Tammy Baer and her son Cody painted the interior. The eye
cup collection previously donated by Jean Swanson is displayed as well.
Misfortune Strikes; Many Friends Lend Helping Hands
This newsletter is being written “under duress” by the
Mangels, since Joanne’s recent illness and unfortunate accident. Joanne
is now at home (in the museum office / small apartment) recuperating.
Both Gil and Joanne are extremely grateful for all the
prayers, flowers, cards, calls, visits, meals and help given to them at
the museum. So many folks have expressed their care that it has resulted
in a new roster of desk volunteers as well as the regular stand-bys.
We will take the risk of not forgetting someone by
attempting to list them: Tami Baer, Jane Bronson, Dawn Brown, Miranda
Byrd, Tara Carvey, Sharon Christianson, Kristi Dalke, Phyllis Fulkerson,
Brenda Jones, Teresa Mangels, Helen Maughan, Jane Mole, Donna and
Gordon Terry, Erma Wall and Jeanne Windham. Museum friend Carmine
Mowbray is helping us compile and edit this issue of the newsletter.
Roberta Davis is an RSVP volunteer.